Social & Emotional Learning (SEL) in Adult Education
Full course description
Social & Emotional Learning (SEL) offers a holistic approach to education in which students’ academic success is nurtured through simultaneously tending to their psychological needs, emotional well-being, and interpersonal skills. The SEL movement began in the mid-1990s and has since become a fundamental component of curricula and pedagogy at the K-12 level. Rooted in the science on Emotional Intelligence (EQ), SEL based instruction is also deeply relevant for learners in the adult basic education classroom. This interactive, self-paced course introduces trainees to essential and foundational information about Social & Emotional Learning. It includes key definitions, practical tips and strategies, and reflection activities primarily presented in a multimedia format. Trainees will explore different facets of SEL as centered around the five main competencies: Self-Awareness, SelfManagement, Social Awareness, Relationship Skills, and Responsible Decision-Making. Practical classroom examples are combined with thorough conceptual knowledge to guide trainees towards nurturing SEL competencies in their own practice, as well as within themselves personally so that they can better model these competencies for others. The goal of the course is for teachers to develop a basic understanding of the five competencies of SEL and how to incorporate SEL-centered teaching into their adult education classrooms and programs.
Adult Education Teachers and Administrators
By completion of this professional development offering, trainees should be able to:
- Define Social and Emotional Learning
- List the five main competencies of SEL
- Identify the gist of the 28 subtopics within each competency
- Develop ideas for what SEL might look like within your teaching and with your students.
- List the benefits of including SEL in your instructional approach.
- Reflect on their own personal level of social skill and emotional well-being as related to the five competencies
- Demonstrate skill in addressing realistic, challenging scenarios in the adult ed classroom that call for SEL competence
NOTE: After enrolling in this course, click here for easy access to the Keywe login screen, where you can login and access this course.